Treatment Options for Tinnitus
When it comes to tinnitus there are quite a few options available to help treat the overwhelming noise. Tinnitus, for some, can be quite debilitating, but with the help of one of the following treatment options freedom can be within reach.
- White noise machines: A white noise machine is a device that simulates environmental, or white noise, for a person. These machines are often used at bedtime when a person is trying to sleep. The white noise machine delivers a chosen sound to the sleeping environment to help mask the tinnitus sound a person is hearing, which allows the person sleep soundly through the night.
- Hearing aids: Hearing aids can help a person deal with their tinnitus during the day. A hearing aid can be programed to deliver a white noise to mask the sound of the tinnitus present in the ear. This allows a person to hear the world around them throughout the day with little to no problems. Hearing aids are also very helpful when a person with tinnitus has a hearing loss; a person is essentially dealing with two problems with one device.
- Masking devices: A masking device is very similar to a hearing aid; only a masking device only delivers a masking sound to the person’s ears and does not help with hearing loss. A masking device is worn like a hearing aid and can be worn all day to help alleviate the problems associated with tinnitus.
- Tinnitus retraining therapy: Tinnitus retraining therapy can help a person, over time, become accustomed to their tinnitus by retraining the brain to accept and ignore the tinnitus. Counselling through this process and technique is very important. It is done through a wearable device that delivers a specifically programmed tonal music to the person at the same frequencies that the tinnitus is heard by the person.
- Medication: Medication has been known to help improve the symptoms of tinnitus, however, it should also be noted that some medications actually cause tinnitus. Typically tricyclic antidepressants and some antianxiety medications can help to reduce the symptoms.
When suffering from tinnitus, it’s essential to find the right audiologist to help you select the best treatment for your condition. Tinnitus can be incredibly debilitating, so schedule an appointment with an audiologist in your area and discuss your treatment options today.